January 7, 2019

How to Get the Most Cash from Plato's Closet


Everyone I know either loves Plato's Closet or hates it. Many are scarred from their low-ball cash offers on their items, and yes, while Plato's Closet doesn't pay top dollar, there are still many ways to maximize your cash earnings there.

Selling at Plato's Closet is extremely easy. Which is why you're not going to get 75% of what you initially paid. Realistically, you'll get between 20%-35%. It's the convenience of Plato's Closet that makes it less lucrative than selling your clothes other ways. But, that's OKAY because here are a few ways to make the most out of Plato's Closet:
  1. Go through your closet once every 3 to 4 months. Get rid of things you are done with, don't fit in, or won't wear again. 
  2. Plato's Closet will ONLY take undamaged items (that means free of stains, pilling, etc.), trendy items, brand name items, and youthful items. Don't add items that don't fit these categories. (For women's style clothes, business attire, and children items see below) 
  3. Keep your future Plato's Closet stash stored in bags in the trunk of your car or in your closet. 
  4. Sell to Plato's Closet every 3 to 4 months with the SAME inventory (plus the new items you have added over time). Plato's closet will always purchase at least one thing from you. Items that didn't sell at one point during the year will eventually sell. 
    • You will notice if you bring in jeans towards the start of summer they may not take them (because it's out of season) but just keep them in your inventory for the fall! 
My tip... Plato's Closet is always in the need for men's clothes so ask your dad, brother, husband, or boyfriend for their clothes! 
It's that easy! So, sure, Plato's may only give you $20-$30 every time you go. But if you go 4 times a year you're about $100 richer than you were!

If you have clothes that Plato's Closet doesn't accept (see #2 above), take them to its sister stores: Style Encore and/or Once Upon a Child.

My tip... If you have "like new" (or "new") BRAND NAME items, I suggest you save them for Poshmark because you will be able to set your own price and make more cash. 

I use the same inventory for Poshmark and Plato's Closet. Here's what I do:
  1. I list all my items on Poshmark.
  2. If an item sells on Poshmark - I mail it and it's out of my inventory.
  3. Every 4 months I take all of my inventory (minus some exceptional items) to Plato's and put my Poshmark closet on a "Vacation Hold" (that just means people can't buy anything). 
  4. After Plato's Closet purchases what they want I delete the items on Poshmark. 
It's super easy and allows you to really maximize both ways of converting your clothes into cash! Check out my post on how to maximize profits on Poshmark!

P.S. Don't be afraid to decline Plato's Closet's offer on your items. They can't force you to accept. So if you feel you deserve more or would rather just give the items away you can totally do that too! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments

READ MORE...

About The Frugal Fernandez...

There's no such thing as a free lunch? There is for me, and There Could Be For You All my life I have been extremely frugal (some may...